The Annual ESPAnet Conferences focus on changing paradigms in European social policy and in European social policy analysis. The conferences provide a forum for theoretical and methodological questions, reflections on inter- and multi-disciplinarity in social policy research and discussions of new trends.The conferences are open to all who are active in social policy research and welcomes contributions from all relevant disciplines.
For more information on past conferences, click here.
ESPAnet 2020 Conference 2-4 September 2020 Leuven Belgium.
Call for Stream Propsals open until 30 November 2020.
The organising committee of the ESPAnet 2020 Conference invites proposals for conference streams. The conference offers social policy scholars the opportunity to present and discuss research on the future of social policies in challenged societies.
Please read the following information very carefully before submitting a proposal.
For inspiration, a list of suggestions for stream themes is provided below. Proposals for stream themes may of course differ from these suggestions. Generally, we welcome streams that incorporate a gender and diversity perspective.
Additionally, we particularly invite stream proposals on the topics that are central to the two keynotes speeches of the ESPAnet 2020 conference:
The Automaton The application of Big Data, AI, algorithms and Automatic Decision Making (ADM) in social policy administration
Nature’s Conditions Social policy in relation to climate change and energy transition
Responsibilities of stream convenors
- Stream convenors are responsible for one or more paper sessions organised within a particular stream.
- Stream convenors are responsible for evaluating all abstracts submitted to their stream and to select and prioritize them for inclusion in their session(s).
- The number of sessions and accepted abstracts per stream is decided by the local organising committee.
- In the run-up to the conference, stream convenors will work together with the local organisers to ensure deadlines for paper submissions are met.
- Stream convenors are responsible for chairing their sessions at the conference.
- Stream convenors are not allowed to present a paper in their own stream, not even as a co-author.
- Stream convenors are not allowed to restrict their streams to papers from their own projects or networks.
Suggestions for stream themes (all in relation to social policy)
- Climate change
- Energy transition
- Automatic Decision Making (big data, algorithms)
- Digitization of work
- Diversity (gender, ethnic,…)
- Labour market developments
- Old age
- Work-Care reconciliation
- Sickness and disability
- Activation, work-reinsertion
- Income protection
- Social investment
- Social administration
- Regional/local social policy
- European social policy
- Welfare states around the globe
- Cultural and social values
- Welfare attitudes
- Methodologies for (comparative) social policy analysis
- Open stream(s)
Stream proposals should fit on one page. They should include:
- A stream title with an indication to which stream theme they relate (see above) or whether a stream theme is proposed that differs from the list above.
- A short description of the stream theme, including a description of the topics and/or types of papers that are expected (max 300 words).
- Full contact details of the stream convenor/s (with a maximum of three convenors per stream): Name/s, affiliation, postal address, phone number, e-mail.
Submission of proposal:
Submit your proposal by 30 November 2019
Use the following link to submit your proposal.
Submission deadline: 30 November 2019
Notification of acceptance expected by 27 January 2020.
We look forward to receiving many exciting stream proposals for next year’s ESPAnet conference,
The Organising Committee
the Local Organisers’ email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Conference website: www.espanet2020.be